Melbourne I love you!
I have shared my kōrero with you often. Part of my heart will always be in Melbourne, as the place where my whānau (family) live. My daughters, sister (her children/husband) and my mother are all Melbourne based, therefore I get back regularly. Not as often as I like but as much as my bank balance and busy life will allow. It's always fabulous and I come back to Aotearoa recharged and loved up, after spending time with family and friends. I spent most of my adult life there and although I miss it, Tāmaki Makaurau (Auckland) is my home. I am grateful for my friends, boyfriend and wonderful colleagues here.
Often people ask me to recommend things to do in Melbourne so here is a a list of thing to do.
- NGV (National Gallery Victoria) is an amazing art gallery. It is a must for lovers of art and it attracts major exhibitions for all over the world.
- ACMI (Australian Centre for the Moving Image) - if you love media/film/TV this is the place for you. My mum used to volunteer here. This is where I saw Bowie is (twice) when the exhibition travelled from the Victoria & Albert Museum. The exhibition is now on at the Brooklyn Museum. I also went to see it in Barcelona!
- The Melbourne Athenaeum Library is a beautiful little library with an eclectic collection
- SLV (State Library Victoria) incredible building, amazing collections, great book store and cafe.
- Sticky Institute - zines, zines and more zines
- Street art - if in the CBD wander down laneways it is where all the best street art is to be found. Hosier Lane draws many instagrammers!
- Wander down Degraves Street for quirky little shops, cafes and my favourite shoe shop Soul Devotion
- Pop down to Corky St Clair under Flinders Street Station. Kris is a jewellery maker and his work is wonderful. He also sells other makers' wonderful things.
- St Catherine Arcade for Orbus clothing and incredible vintage stores
- Emporium for food and fashion
- Leonard Street Clothing (Gorgeous clothes) and
- Gun Shy Design (fabulous faux fur) - this is on my to do list. I haven't been yet but I follow the store and designer on instagram and I so want one of her coats.
Food & Drink
There are so many incredible places to eat and drink in Melbourne. It is hard to go wrong. But places I go back to include:
- Hutong Dumpling (dumplings)
- Shanghai Street Dumpling & Mini Juicy Bun (more dumplings)
- Lucy Liu (cocktails) - a recommendation from my sister! I am going to try next time I go visit
- Supernormal (pricey but incredible) - lobster rolls!
- Jimmy Grants (best chips ever)
Melbourne is a wonderful city. It dropped from 1st to 2nd on the world's most liveable city. Still number 2 is pretty darn awesome. It is a great place to visit. Enjoy!